SW for fieldwork

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Sep 21 16:14:41 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
September 21, 2013

Welcome to the SignWriting List, Gustavo!
As other List members have already answered, SignWriting is certainly used for Field Notes in research, written by hand or by computer. I assume that you will be writing your SignWriting notes by hand out in the field, but you are also welcome to use our free software online, to record your Field Notes for others to read later…Would you like to record your Field Notes in SignPuddle Online? We have a section for Brazil:

SignPuddle Directory for Brazil
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/index3.html#sgn-BR

When you enter the Dictionary for Brazil, scroll down and to the left on the screen you will see a place to Register and then Login…Once you are logged in, you can write your own signs and sentences in the sign language you are studying…even though it may not be the official sign language of Brazil (LIBRAS). When you write a sign, you are asked to put in information about each sign that you save, and in that area, you can put yourself as the source, and you can also, in the Text area, state that these signs are really..."Ka'apor Indians Sign Language, in "Pre-Amazonia" forest". Then later, you will be able to search for all the Amazonian signs, in the Text Field.

Another idea is to use desktop software on your private computer, that is not online. There are several choices there, and we can discuss them if you are interested.

But it will be great if you share some of your writing of Amazonian signs with us - I am interested!

Val ;-)

---------

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List: