The SignWriting Symposium in 2014

Denny C Voreck dvoreck at AOL.COM
Mon Sep 16 16:00:14 UTC 2013

Hi colleagues,

I plan to attend 25 years reunion and 150th Anniversary at Gsllaudet University from July 9th to 13th this summer

Denny
Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

-----Original Message-----
From: Valerie Sutton <signwriting at MAC.COM>
To: SW-L <SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU>
Sent: Mon, Sep 16, 2013 08:41 AM
Subject: Re: The SignWriting Symposium in 2014

SignWriting ListSeptember 16, 2013

Hello Claudia and everyone -
Thank you for this message and I am delighted that you and others wish to attend. Thank you for telling us - I will be talking about scheduling for the actual proceedings in a future message…right now we have to establish the dates… and I will also seek funding to help people attend, but of course all this has to be worked on - I do not have the funding yet…smile...

I have already started the process of reserving the space at the Scripps Seaside Forum  which is just a few blocks away from UCSD and Salk Institute. All the technological features needed are built into the modern new conference rooms, with full Wi-Fi (internet), a beautiful flat-TV projection screen and so forth - 8 steps from the beach, with a cafe and several motels and hotels nearby. The parking is a little limited for those with cars, but I believe I can reserve some parking spaces for us too in advance, but I know that from some of the hotels nearby, you can walk to the conference along the beach - maybe a ten minute walk - but such a beautiful walk!

La Jolla is on land that sticks out in the ocean with water on three sides - it is a little like a curved peninsula - There is a lot of fog sometimes in the morning, and we have something called "the Marine Layer" as the weatherman calls it …which means that in May, June and sometimes July there can be grey clouds from marine moisture, especially in the morning, but it usually gets warmer and sunnier in the afternoons  …because the sun is not out in the mornings and it is cool… You should bring clothing for both cool and warm weather - you just never know in July if it will be like June (cool) or like August (warmer)...

A warmer time of year is late August and September, but most people in the US have to be back at work by that time, and the only time free is the month of July - So we must hold the Symposium in July -

I am reserving a room that will hold up to 20 people. It is not available the first week in July, unfortunately.

It will be a four-day Symposium, with morning and afternoon sessions, and lunch will be provided on the room's private patio, or you can go out to the Cafe nearby.

These are the dates available. Which do you all prefer? They are Monday-Thursday:

7/14 - 7/17
7/21 - 7/24
7/28 - 7/31

Madson - I noticed you wanted the first week in July - sadly that is not available - can you come any of the above dates?

Val ;-)

--------