SW for fieldwork

James Shepard-Kegl kegl at MAINE.RR.COM
Thu Sep 19 01:27:41 UTC 2013

Gustavo,

SW can be used both for linguistic transcription and to express ideas in writing.

To express ideas, one might argue that you do not need to capture every aspect of the sign -- just enough to communicate effectively with your readers.

For linguistic analysis, you will want to write every detail that you see: hand shape and movement, body shifting, eye gazing, head tilting.

With practice, you can accomplish this quite effectively with SW.  I also prefer to videotape the signer and then write the signs by watching the videotape.  However, we also work in the field and often cannot videotape the signer.  I can capture the sign in SW even in that situation -- but you have to be good at it.

For purposes of discussing your data, I think SW is better than showing videos (not easy to do) or even showing a series of video frames.

Go to www.nicaraguansignlanguageprojects.org, and look at the "Introduction" to the ISN Handbook.  You can download this in the Projects description section.  We present a discussion of grammar and syntax in both Spanish and English.  For example sentences, we show both video frames and the complete sentence in SW.  You may decide for yourself which is more effective.

-- James