SignPuddle how to print a word-list of the SignPuddle dictionary

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Apr 4 23:20:13 UTC 2014

Good question on Sign-Symbol-Sequence. I have been adding an SSS to all the Brazilian signs systematically. It's a challenge.

Hand shape
Right hand, orientation, upright, counter-clockwise 8 rotations, 6 orientations
Left hand, orientation, upright, clockwise 8 rotations, 6 orientations
Contact face, 8 positions, clockwise
Contact neck,
Contact shoulders, 3 positions
(lots more positions.... I have tried to follow Valerie's lead on this).
Just with that much you can order MOST signs.
Movements.
Speed
Facial Expression

I have a presentation that Valerie can link here.

Charles Butler
chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

________________________________
 From: André L <andre-andre at HOTMAIL.CA>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Friday, April 4, 2014 7:05 PM
Subject: Re: SignPuddle how to print a word-list of the SignPuddle dictionary

Hello Stephen,
what would happen if the sign has no explicit sign spelling sequence?

Thanks.

André Lemyre

________________________________
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 09:53:23 -0500
From: slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU

On 4/4/14, 9:18 AM, Charles Butler wrote:

I am wondering if it is possible to print a word list the same way using signs, not gloss, so that one pulls out unique sign lists using a starting hand shape.

No.  I've thought about this, but haven't implemented it yet.  It should be an easy addition to the query language and very valuable.  I will probably add it to the next edition of draft-slevinski-signwriting-text which I need to update for next month.  It should only take a few hours to add to the query language to regular expression convertor.

The syntax would probably be QAS10000 for all signs that have a sign
    spelling sequence that starts with the index symbol .

Alternately, the query QAS100uu would find all of the signs that
    start with the same symbol without regards to fill or rotation.

This leads to an additional complication of QAS10000S20500 versus
    QS20500AS10000, where S20500 is the single contact.

The first query (QAS10000S20500) would find the signs that have a
    sign spelling sequence that starts with the index followed by the
    contact.  The second query would find the signs that have a sign
    spelling sequence that starts with the index and includes a contact
    somewhere in the sign.  Subtle but powerful distinction.

Regards,
-Steve

sutton at signwriting.org
Post Messages to the SignWriting List: