AW: Ordering Signs in Dictionaries

Stefan Woehrmann stefanwoehrmann at GEBAERDENSCHRIFT.DE
Thu Aug 14 17:27:04 UTC 2014

Hi Adam, ...

Of course I need directional verbs in my dictionary ...smile and you are
right ..there is often not enough time and energry to care about too many
options ..but at lease the "you and me" thing is worth it ...
Writing so many phrases every day during my lessons it is so interesting and
helpful for my students to understand this concept of "directional
verbs"..So they have to have a concept in mind while browsing the different
options that are already stored in the dictionary ..and hey what a triumph
if a 12 year old deaf kid takes the job to add a missing option .."The
father receives from his son a beautifl foto of a little owl."

All best

Stefan

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages
[mailto:SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] Im Auftrag von Adam Frost
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 14. August 2014 17:03
An: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Betreff: Re: Ordering Signs in Dictionaries

I'm not sure I'd place directional verbs in a dictionary because it is
almost impossible to get every possibility. I would probably just place the
base verb and then something to signify that it can become a directional
verb.

As I think of it more, however, I am reminded of affixes in spoken languages
(like pre-, un-, or -tion, and -ed). It is rare that they have all the
possibilities of combined words, but the most common are usually placed in
the dictionary.

And thinking of ordering those words with affixes for spoken languages, they
aren't always clumped together especially if the are suffixes (like -tion
and -ed for English).

So I'm not sure what you are meaning by sorting by rotation wouldn't be
effective, but I get the feeling that you are expecting that they all be
clumped together in the same area of a dictionary. That may happen in some
cases, but it will never work for every case because similarities between
directional verbs are not always the same thing (ie the beginning of the
sorting sequence).

But maybe I have read your meaning completely wrong, so can you give us an
example of what you are talking about for LSQ?

Adam

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu