So what did you think of the SignWriting Symposium?

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Aug 18 03:11:34 UTC 2014

SignWriting List
August 17, 2014

Hello Maria and everyone!
This is such a brave message, discussing the feelings you had during the Symposium presentation. I just want you to know, for the record, that I was delighted and honored that you took the time, after just receiving your Ph.D and defending your dissertation a few weeks earlier, and with tiny babies to care for at home…I really don’t know how you did it, Maria, and we are all the richer for your contribution - thank you!

And I am sure you know, you are not the only one that was uncomfortable. I too was sorry that we had so many technical problems. While people were presenting, I was not only the “Master of Ceremonies” (MC) or hostess, but I was also pushing the buttons on the controls to decide when we saw a person on the screen and when we saw the slides and when the audience saw me and so forth, and I also had to keep the time so that each presentation wrapped up on time, and in several cases, people did not realize when they were presenting - the time zones were confusing for people - and while one presentation was nearing its end, I realized that the next presenter had not come into the broadcast area yet, and I would be writing private emails to the next presenter saying “your time is soon…are you on your way and did you know this is your link? and so forth - one time Natasha, on day one, her iPad refused to let her in, so she had to run to a school room I guess, I am not sure, and she somehow was able to grab a computer to present with, and we switched Charles Butler with Natasha at the last minute and it all worked out - but the stress level of the next presenter making it to the podium was high - I know you went through that as well, Maria, and I think that we can solve these problems at the next Symposium.

I was very strong throughout the Symposium….If they could put Happiness in a bottle and everyone could feel as I did at the end of each 8 hour day - you would want to do a Symposium everyday too!

I was really happy sitting listening to so many remarkable SignWriting projects that I barely knew about just a few months earlier - it was a real emotional high for me -

…but of course, there were moments when everyone has to take a break and the breaks were not handled correctly -

You see, I had actually scheduled breaks - I thought that we would ask each presenter to present for 20 minutes and then have 10 minutes for questions and answers and then have 15 minutes to setup the next presenter - so the break was the 15 minutes between presentations - but that is not what happened - which is my fault, because as the MC I should have been more strict with the time - instead we all presented for more like 30 to 40 minutes and by the time the next presenter was ready to go, none of us had had a break - so you can put that on my shoulders - I could have managed the times better…

But on a positive note…we presented live for 32 hours over 4 days and every presentation showed up, and every presentation was on time except for one, and that was not so bad because the one that was late was only late by a few minutes -

For a truly professional Symposium, we need to improve the way slides and interpreters are handled. If we cannot solve that problem then we may go to a webinar or other software…but I have a question for you…what is the difference between a webinar and Google Hangouts?

Here is a definition of a webinar in Wikipedia:

"Web conferencing refers to a service that allows conferencing events to be shared with remote locations. These are sometimes referred to as webinars or, for interactive conferences, online workshops. In general, the service is made possible by Internet technologies, particularly on TCP/IP connections. The service allows real-time point-to-point communications as well as multicastcommunications from one sender to many receivers. It offers data streams of text-based messages, voice and video chat to be shared simultaneously, across geographically dispersed locations. Applications for web conferencing include meetings, training events, lectures, or short presentations from any computer.”

I believe the answer is that a webinar does not broadcast live to YouTube - isn’t that the difference? The webinar is to a closed group of watchers, or a closed audience, and Google Hangouts is open to anyone on Google Plus, YouTube and so forth…so it has an open audience - it is more like TV, or a true broadcast…which means we could get advertisers on a Google Hangout broadcast, if we had large amounts of viewers that would make advertising lucrative -

I believe a webinar is probably more elegant, but a hangout is a little more informal, and more generally public - I believe with specially-developed apps that are donated to us, we will be able to improve the quality of the broadcast, have fewer presentations in a day, have prepared videos during breaks, and improve my introductions for people that is actually written beforehand with the presenter’s approval so the introduction goes smoothly - I rambled too much- but it doesn’t have to be that way in the future -

So just as you say, Maria, you could have read your script, I could also have read your introduction, about Malta and the amazing historic work done with SignWriting in Malta, and you would know in advance what I would say so you would feel more prepared…

I am also going to give people the exact time they are presenting in their local time, so that no one can misunderstand what time they are presenting - apparently the UTC confused lots of people, although we checked and out times were correct - nonetheless the different time zones around the world did confuse people and there is no reason that that should happen again -

I certainly like the idea of a webinar as well - and I am not saying Google Hangouts is necessarily the only way to go - I know the world of online presenting will change and change and change - so please continue to give me your feedback and give us all ideas for the future -

We might also be able to re-do some presentations - I am open to the idea although I do not know when - we are having trouble getting the captions done - it turns out it is more work than expected and I am considering finding out if a professional captioning studio might be willing to donate their time to helping us -

Lots to consider -

Val ;-)

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List: