AW: Face glyphs and Software that Transcribes Videos into SignWriting

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Aug 31 18:18:57 UTC 2014

The major problem I have in writing a video into Expressive is looking at it is a reversed mirror. To "write what I see" is what I was taught - NOT - write what you "feel". If it is a language and you don't know the language, then how can you "feel" the expression you see.

I learned Receptive for writing a video, you write what you see. I learned Expressive for writing myself, you write what you feel.

So, when I wrote Lucinda Batch's video, it took hours to rethink everything I saw and make sure that "left means right, in means out". I have seldom been able to say this. I wish we had a button which could take a Receptively written text, where I can SEE everything in front of me with the video right next to it so NOT mirror reversed, so you could see the right hand on the other person on the left moving  across their body NOT yours. Then, be able to push ONE button which connects to the entire sign written sentence and reverses everything - once, not painfully.

For video the preferred transcription for me would be Receptive. For dictionaries it should be Expressive.

Charles Butler
chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

________________________________
 From: Stefan Wöhrmann <stefanwoehrmann at GOOGLEMAIL.COM>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2014 1:08 PM
Subject: AW: Face glyphs and Software that Transcribes Videos into SignWriting

He Valerie and friends,

… “And Facial Expressions truly are based
on a combination of what we see and what we feel…”

Well – if it comes
to SpeechWriting you have to add .. “and what we know”

This is a very
interesting aspect. When Erika did her research in our class we learned a lot
about what is going on and what is not going on in the mind of a signer if he
performs a sign with any kind of mouthing

Same is true for us if we
look at someone who is signing.

… As the “informed”
person I can “lipread” .. as the “not informed” person
I may just see somebody moving his lips, tongue, … but have no idea what
kind of word from spoken language matches this kind of mouth-movements and
string of “Mundbilder”

Nevertheless this aspect as
a important aspect of a Sign Language  performance has been neglected in the
past very much. When I started to develop my SpeechWriting symbol set I had to
understand that for some reason other scribes do not want to include this part
of information although you can see it – smile. Obviously this seems to
be a matter of “political correctness” or something like that. While
DGS has a lot of “mouthing” other signl languages    seem to avoid
that and accept only mouth gestures and mimic?

But if we try to write
what we see ..it is so interesting that – coming from different
backgrounds - we do not see the same thing. – smile

All best

Stefan

(Attached you see an
animation with a man signing a sign name …and “mouthing”
Timo )