Steve's presentations during the SignWriting Symposium 2014

Stephen E Slevinski Jr slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Wed Aug 6 16:22:15 UTC 2014

Hi SignWriting List,

What a great SignWriting Symposium 2014 and what a wonderful world of
sign writers,

Thanks to everyone who presented.  It was inspiring to hear your stories
and it was fascinating to learn more about your work with SignWriting.

I was fortunate enough to present 3 times during the symposium.  The
video segments and my slides are available on my presentation pages.  If
there are any questions or comments, I'd love to hear about them either
on the SW list or privately via email.

Presentations
========
The SignPuddle Standard for SignWriting Text
http://www.signwriting.org/symposium/presentation0011.html

Constructing a TrueType Font for the SignWriting Script with Unicode
Characters Using the Graphite Rendering System
http://www.signwriting.org/symposium/presentation0019.html

Digital collaboration with machine-readable sign language text in the
SignWriting script
http://www.signwriting.org/symposium/presentation0031.html

Regards,
-Steve

Presentation Footnote
==============
The Unicode mentioned in my presentations encodes the entire SignWriting
Script.  The characters are located on plane 15 of the Private Use
Area.  It has been stable since January 12th, 2012.  We have an almost
working TrueType Font.

Next summer, Unicode version 8 will include a modified version of the
ISWA 2010 symbol encoding.  The characters are located on plane 1 of the
Supplementary Multilingual Plane .  The official proposal does not
include characters needed for layout.  It might be useful if they
produce a font.  It is a great acknowledgement of the standard that is
the International SignWriting Alphabet 2010. Congratulations Valerie
Sutton and a special thanks to Adam Frost.

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu