Article on SW (and other notation systems)

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 12 17:45:26 UTC 2014

Only comment "in the absence of spelling rules, there are multiple ways to write the same sign". There are spelling rules but the differences in spellings are often from point of view (expressive, receptive, upper view, side view) for clarity of what hand shape is actually being used and the perception of speed or direction of movement.

In my personal experience I have tried to go through the Brazilian Sign Language (LIBRAS) and ASL dictionaries and enforce a sign-spelling-sequence for the signs that are there so that an "ordered system of signs" can be use in the classroom along with other teaching methods.

Charles Butler
chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

________________________________
 From: Valerie Sutton <signwriting at MAC.COM>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: Article on SW (and other notation systems)

SignWriting List
August 12, 2014

Hello Claudia -
Thank you for telling us about this paper. I am happy to see it. Of course I immediately was attracted to the written Italian Sign Language on this page - I enjoyed reading it - Here is a screen capture -

http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs/01/04/37/55/PDF/Garcia_Sallandre_BLC_Handbook_last_draft.pdf

SignWriting List moderator sutton at signwriting.org
sutton at signwriting.org
Post Messages to the SignWriting List: