AW: Do you use Underline for proper names?

Stefan Wöhrmann stefanwoehrmann at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 13 20:41:38 UTC 2014

Hi Madson and Raquel,

yes – at that time I learned this from the Kegels and it is a very helpful
idea from my experience to understand that there are some signs you are not
able to understand unless you got more background information and this is
especially true for Sign Names ,,, so yes in DGS we follow this idea.

All best

Stefan

  _____

Von: SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages
[mailto:SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] Im Auftrag von Madson Barreto
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 13. August 2014 14:16
An: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Betreff: Do you use Underline for proper names?

Hi Valerie and everyone

I just read a Joe Martin's paper and he said about the in Nicaraguan Sign
Language that around 1998 has a orthographic rule that said to underline
proper names for differ of common names/ simple names.

I've searched the SW-List archives and I found a 2005' discussion about it.

So, much time has passed...

My question is: this role is currently using in some Sign Language?

We believe it would be interesting for differ Sign Names (proper names in
Sign Languages) of common signs. In spokes writings we use upper case, but
in SignWriting?

What you thinking and use about?

Best reagards,

Madson and Raquel Barreto