ISWA 2010 font reference 1.8.2

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Aug 24 05:28:46 UTC 2014

SignWriting List
August 23, 2014

Hello Stefan -
Just for your information…it has also confused me in the past, that the TrueType Font that Eduardo Trapani developed for the ISWA 2010 is not the same as the old style TrueType Fonts that have been developed in FontLab or Fontographer years ago -

They are really very different - a new world with new technology - so the term “TrueType” seems to apply to more than fonts developed with the older software programs…there are actually ways that programmers can create TrueType for thousands and thousands of characters all in one font, instead of separating them into smaller fonts like the old TrueType font software does -

Steve presented three presentations at the SignWriting Symposium…Presentations 11, 19 and 31. Steve’s Presentation 19 was about Eduardo’s TrueType font, and how it is unusual and special and so close to being perfect and yet it still needs some technical work that only certain kinds of experts can help us with…we are still looking for that expert and we hope to find him or her ;-)

Steve’s Presentation 19
http://www.signwriting.org/symposium/presentation0019.html

So when we are discussing TrueType we are talking about another kind of font that has all the characters of the ISWA 2010 in one single file - hard to imagine? For me too…I still do not know how to explain it to people ;-)

Machado - If you are out there, please write to me privately - I would like to ask for your advice and help on Eduardo’s TrueType font - we are so close to perfect it is painful and yet we are not quite there - And thank you, Eduardo, for your amazing work -

Val ;-)

———