Sutton Movement Writing is 40 years old!

André L andre-andre at HOTMAIL.CA
Thu Feb 27 17:33:27 UTC 2014

Hello thank you for all those samples.

Please validate the following choices:
1-By default, there is no shoulder to keep clarity.
2-By default, there is no neck to keep clarity.
3-Is there is a need for frames with only the head and no hand?  Does the passage from one sign to the next needs a transition?  It would be harder to see where a sign ends and the other starts for a beginner.
4-Should the character smile during the whole sentence?  For this baner it could keep smiling.  In real life, an idle mouth would be present.

A scanned paper version (frame by frame) is coming soon for pre-approval.

André Lemyre
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 05:54:31 -0800
From: signwriting at MAC.COM
Subject: Re: Sutton Movement Writing is 40 years old!
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU

SignWriting ListFebruary 27, 2014
Hello André!I guess the color black will be best for animating Maltese Sign Language - probably easier to read for those new to SignWriting and to Maltese Sign Language…but if you have already started using the red color that is ok too...
Thank you for doing this, André -
Years ago, Stefan did an animation of basketball - so writing and animating movement should be universal, based on writing body movement  - You are right, this is a good test of the system…
Attached below is Stefan’s basketball writing and animation… all of Stefan's Mime and SportsWriting animations are fascinating, and use the general Movement Writing system…just applied to sports or mime movements… so a foreign sign language is no different really, if all the signs are written clearly for you - so ask questions of course - thank you also to Maria, in the middle of her final editing of her dissertation, to provide us with the Maltese Sign Language…congrats to you in advance, Maria, for a fine dissertation which I am enjoying reading - Val ;-)

SportsWriting Animationhttp://www.movementwriting.org/animation/sports/
MimeWriting Animationhttp://www.movementwriting.org/animation/mime/
Val ;-)
———

On Feb 26, 2014, at 9:06 PM, André L <andre-andre at hotmail.ca> wrote:Hello Stephan and Valerie,
I started working on the animation.  It is so hard to resist an interesting project.  It is an interesting sample of hand, wrist and finger movements.  Hands move forward, down and in curves.  We have brushing and contact.  There are facial expressions and numbers.

Valerie, which color do you prefer black or the orange of your sample?

Thank you Stephan for your sample.  I will use it as a basis.

Stay in touch, it should be interesting!  If a Canadian can animate a malta sign language using Sutton SignWriting system, it shows the universality of the system.

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu