WRAB Conference (Paris) presentation on SW

André Thibeault atg at VIDEOTRON.CA
Thu Feb 20 18:07:20 UTC 2014

Bonjour Claudia,

Moi aussi.

Bonne soirée

André
De :  André L <andre-andre at HOTMAIL.CA>
Répondre à :  "SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages"
<SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU>
Date :  Thu, 20 Feb 2014 12:47:12 -0500
À :  <SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU>
Objet :  Re: WRAB Conference (Paris) presentation on SW

Bonjour Claudia,
je suis intéressé à lire ce document.
Merci

André Lemyre

Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 08:57:53 -0800
From: signwriting at MAC.COM
Subject: Re: WRAB Conference (Paris) presentation on SW
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU

SignWriting List
February 20, 2014

Everyone is welcome to post in French or any spoken or signed language -
smile - all languages are welcome here on the List -

And hello Anny! Great to hear from you here on the SignWriting List again -
Val ;-)

--------

On Feb 20, 2014, at 8:50 AM, Claudia S. Bianchini <chiadu14 at GMAIL.COM>
wrote:

> [...]
>> prendre connaissance
>> Meilleures salutations
>>
>> A-Claude Prélaz Girod
>> Le 20 févr. 2014 à 14:43, Claudia S. Bianchini a écrit :
>>
>>> Hello all :-)
>>> yesterday I present a part of my work on SW at WRAB (Writing research across
>>> borders) in Paris.http://conference2014.fr/wrab_accueil_en.php
>>> :-) Claudia
>>>
>>> Here is the abstract (French with english below)
>>> ----------------------
>>> Session X2-X3 : Bianchini Claudia Savina : Université de Poitiers /
>>> EA3816-FoReLL - France
>>> ----------------------
>>> Représenter les Langues des Signes (LS) à travers SignWriting (SW) : peut-on
>>> parler de « fautes » ?
>>> ----------------------
>>> La Langue des Signes (LS) est exclusivement face-à-face et elle ne peut pas
>>> être représentée par les écritures nées pour les langues vocales. Nous
>>> étudions SignWriting, un système de notation des LS qui est composé de
>>> (espace graphique). Ce système, qui est relativement simple à utiliser,
>>> présente toutefois des difficultés, notamment dans la composition des
>>> vignettes. À partir des productions et des réflexions de sourds signeurs,
>>> nous analyserons les vignettes posant des problèmes de lecture et nous
>>> verrons que ces obstacles peuvent être imputés à des facteurs humains, à des
>>> spécificités de SW mais aussi à des «fautes volontaires» du scripteur. Nous
>>> conclurons sur l'opportunité ou non de parler de «fautes d'orthographe» en
>>> SW, puisqu'il n'existe pas encore une véritable «norme». Nous verrons enfin
>>> qu'un critère subjectif remplace l'objectivité de la «norme»: c'est la
>>> lisibilité.
>>> ----------------------
>>> Sign Languages (SL) are only face-to-face and cannot be represented by any
>>> writing system developed for spoken languages. We examine SignWriting, a
>>> notation system for LS composed of "glyphs" (graphics units) that fit
>>> together in a "thumbnail" (graphic space). However, this system, which is
>>> relatively simple to use, presents difficulties, especially in the
>>> "typesetting" of thumbnails. From the written productions and related
>>> thoughts of deaf signers, we analyze the thumbnails which cause reading
>>> problems, showing that these hindrances can be ascribed to human factors, to
>>> SW intrinsic characteristic, or even to "voluntary faults" of the writer.
>>> Finally, we consider whether or not to speak of "misspellings" in SW, since
>>> a true "standard" does not exist yet: in fact, in SW a subjective criterion,
>>> "readability", replaces the objectivity of the "norm".
>>>

>>> --
>>> Claudia S. Bianchini, PhD
>>> MCF Licence SDL-LSF, Univ. Poitiers
>>>  <mailto:chiadu14 at gmail.comt> claudia.savina.bianchini at univ-poitiers.fr
>>> <mailto:chiadu14 at gmail.comt>
>>> Université de Poitiers - UFR Lettres et Langues (Bât. A3)
>>> 86073 POITIERS CEDEX 9

Valerie Sutton SignWriting List moderator sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List: sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu

Valerie Sutton SignWriting List moderator sutton at signwriting.org