Sutton Movement Writing is 40 years old!

Mon Feb 24 17:40:18 UTC 2014

SignWriting List
February 24, 2014

In February 2014, Sutton Movement Writing is 40 years old!

Sutton Movement Writing & Shorthand is a large writing system for recording all body movement. It includes five sections: DanceWriting for writing dance choreography, SignWriting for writing sign languages, MimeWriting for writing classic mime and animated movement, SportsWriting for writing sports, and MovementWriting, for writing scientific studies on gesture analysis.

February 1974 … DanceWriting began officially with the announcement of the first book
February 1974 … non-profit organization began in Southern California, USA
October 1974 …  SignWriting, MimeWriting (for classic mime) and MovementWriting began in Denmark

The non-profit organization behind the system was first established in February, 1974, under the name “The Movement Shorthand Society”, in Newport Beach, California. Later the name changed to “The Center for Sutton Movement Writing. It is now located in La Jolla, California, and provides free services to the world on the web.

Are you interested in more history here on the SignWriting List? I am writing our history right now, and I can post more details, but only if you are interested - I can tell you in more detail about the research projects in Denmark and so forth...

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu