Animations to teach signwriting

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 10 12:01:45 UTC 2014

I am truly amazed at the improvement in avatar programming since I first saw it modeled in a SWML project in Brazil in 2001. To have a full-time team working on animating the SW corpus is truly astonishing. If it is possible to interlink this program with the SignPuddles at some point in the future, it will truly be astounding to show the world how useful SW is as an everyday writing system that includes all of the parameters in the process.

If one uses "confusao" and "complicado" in LIBRAS as examples, this would be an example the same handshapes connected in the same way where the only difference is speed of movement.

Charles Butler
chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

________________________________
 From: André L <andre-andre at HOTMAIL.CA>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Thursday, January 9, 2014 5:16 PM
Subject: Re: Animations to teach signwriting

The avatar is a 3D character that signs like a human.  Like from a video game.

It translates English, French, arabic writen texts by using SignWriting descriptions.

This is more powerful than animated gif.  The animated gif is closer from the written form.  That is why it can help learning to write.

Because the avatar and gif animation are competing solutions for almost the same needs, we need to discuss to put energy at the right place.

The avatar already exists.  It has a huge team.

For more information about the avatar refer to the the tunisian                                                          team who                                                          worked on an                                                          avatar that                                                          translates SignWriting                                                          in a 3D                                                          animation.  Yosra                                                          Bouzid and                                                          Mohamed Jemni.

http://tiger.uvt.nl/pdf/papers/bouzid.pdf
http://www.utic.rnu.tn/francais/websign.html

I will try tomorrow to find the link were you can interact with the avatar.  I used it once.  It works for ASL, tunisian sign language and more...

 André Lemyre