AW: How do you write down SW symbols Š

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 8 07:41:39 UTC 2014

IStephan,

 understand your choice for writing a spoken language, I chose to write as I would sign. i would not use a quote but the ASL equivalent in body shifting and eye lift. English has punctuation, that's what the spoken language does with a narrative to distinguish speakers. That is not how ASL shows dialogue. It does it with body shifts, eye gazes, and other ways of punctuating that are not mimicking a spoken language but separation by signs. The closest I do is a pause before a body shift, but then the shifted person talks. If one is to show a user of ASL how to write English, we need to show that a "quote" is the equivalent to a body shift, not a punctuation mark.

Charles Butler
chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

________________________________
 From: Stefan Woehrmann <stefanwoehrmann at GEBAERDENSCHRIFT.DE>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Saturday, March 8, 2014 2:24 AM
Subject: AW: How do you write down SW symbolsŠ

Hi Val, Charles, Andrè, ...

Are you asking how to write the punctuation like quote
symbols?

On case you are interested to write not signlanguage
but "signed German" or any other "signed spoken language
document" as we need them for deaf students to improve their spoken
language document I would do it this way.

I simply added a sign for "quotes" to the dictionary.

All best

Stefan