Signwriting: handwriting and shorthand

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Mar 8 23:27:38 UTC 2014

SignWriting List
March 8, 2014

Hello André!
Adam Frost will be presenting a paper on SW Handwriting at the SW Symposium 2014.

Meanwhile, here are two documents on the web:

SW Handwriting, Lesson 1
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs5/sw0473-US-SWHandwriting-Lesson1.pdf

SW Handwriting Manual for the Workshop Near The Beach, 2013
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs10/sw0917_SignWriting_Handwriting_Manual_2013.pdf

Shorthand is for note taking at speed and although used in the 1980s, it is out of date and the manual must be re-written from scratch… and really only I can write that manual. Shorthand is not for everyone - we do not use shorthand to write English everyday either - we do use Handwriting though - Handwriting is different than shorthand and is what is needed for everyday use - Shorthand is for court recording and specialized professions -

SW Handwriting is used all over the world right now every day by writers without formal training. In a relaxed way people just write their own notes for themselves, by hand. So the styles of SW handwriting vary and there are several purposes for handwriting.

Adam’s paper will explore the history behind writing by hand and then will present the way he teaches it to his ASL students and how he proposes writing by hand.

I am looking forward to the Symposium!

Val ;-)

---------

sutton at signwriting.org