AW: Head viewpoints with top missing

Stefan Woehrmann stefanwoehrmann at GEBAERDENSCHRIFT.DE
Fri May 16 23:55:19 UTC 2014

Yes – definitely not SpeechWriting – smile

n Languages [mailto:SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] Im Auftrag von
Valerie Sutton
Gesendet: Samstag, 17. Mai 2014 00:03
An: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Betreff: Re: Head viewpoints with top missing

SignWriting List

May 16, 2014

Hello André -

Nice to hear from you. Technically the sign for CLEAN REPEATEDLY in ASL that
is shown in the attached diagram is not presenting SpeechWriting.
SpeechWriting is specific to speaking words from a spoken language. The
stacked Facial Circles with Mouth Movements that you see there are an
attempt to write some of the movements of the mouth that occur while
signing, that are not associated with speech from spoken language - there
are certain mouth movements that are done in Deaf storytelling, for example,
that are a part of ASL grammar, but are not related to speech -

Of course others are more expert at explaining this
I am not an expert in
ASL. My reading of Natasha’s writing is that the mouth movements are more
aligned with ASL grammar
 rather than speaking any word.

As far as reading the facial expressions - we read from the top - down -
just as we read our vertical column writing top - down - the reading flows
in the direction of the vertical columns - read top to bottom -

Val ;-)

--------