Duplicated punctuation symbols

Stephen E Slevinski Jr slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Sat May 31 04:13:12 UTC 2014

Hi Jonathan,
> The valid rotations are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 so there has to be something
> there even though it doesn't bring anything meaningful to the
> alfabet.   Maybe instead of trying to make each base symbol and
> complete rectangle of fills and rotations (or matrix) of symbol but
> rather just have table with the ones that are valid.  We have to look
> up the valid fills and valid rotations per base symbol anyways.  So
> I'm not seing the advantage here.
Each base symbol has an 8-bit number for the valid fills and a 16-bit
number for the valid rotations.  So each base symbol needs 3-bytes to
determine validity.

Here is a table from draft-slevinski-signwriting-text that deals with
validity in the ISWA 2010.
http://signpuddle.net/download/draft-slevinski-signwriting-text-03.html#rfc.appendix.B.5

Sum 	Binary 	Set
1 	100000 	{1}
2 	010000 	{2}
3 	110000 	{1, 2}
7 	111000 	{1, 2, 3}
15 	111100 	{1, 2, 3, 4}
31 	111110 	{1, 2, 3, 4, 5}
63 	111111 	{1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6}
187 	11011101 	{1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8}
255 	11111111 	{1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8}
511 	1111111110000000 	{1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9}
48059 	1101110111011101 	{1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16}
65535 	1111111111111111 	{1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14,
15, 16}

For the punctuation in question, it has valid fills of 1 thru 4 ( sum
value of 15) and it has valid rotations of 1 thru 8 (sum value of 255).
So to send the information for the base symbol we would need
S387,15,255.  For any symbol key, we can use the associated fill and
rotation numbers to determine if the key is valid.

> Maybe instead of trying to make each base symbol and complete
> rectangle of fills and rotations (or matrix) of symbol but rather just
> have table with the ones that are valid.  We have to look up the valid
> fills and valid rotations per base symbol anyways.  So I'm not seing
> the advantage here.
The advantage is that we do not need to have a bit for each and every
cell.  With 6 fills and 16 columns, we would need a 96-bit number which
is 12-bytes.  So to send the information for the base symbol we would
need S387,71777214294589695 or we could use 6 16-bit numbers which would
be S387,255,255,255,255,0,0

Setting each individual cell would require 4 times as much data per base
symbol.  I chose the smaller representation because I was trying to
reduce the size as much as possible.

Regards,
-Steve

sutton at signwriting.org