Introducing the SignWriting 2010 Fonts

Stephen E Slevinski Jr slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Fri Oct 3 14:58:39 UTC 2014

Hi SignWriting List,

I've had great success creating TrueType fonts for the SignWriting
symbols. The fonts are fully functional but not production ready. I need
to clean up some of the images and adjust the typography settings. I've
published the fonts I've created on Github.

The SignWriting 2010 Fonts project
* https://github.com/Slevinski/signwriting_2010_fonts
Production and development TrueType fonts with source SVG files for
written sign language in the SignWriting script based on the ISWA 2010.

I've also released the tools project that created the above TrueType
fonts. I spent extra time crafting the build script so that it is
customizable and informative. Each of the fonts above has an associated
log file that details the font's creation.

The SignWriting 2010 Tools project
* https://github.com/Slevinski/signwriting_2010_tools
Tools for creating TrueType fonts for written sign language in the
SignWriting script based on the ISWA 2010.

The image quality of the TrueType font is not as nice as the SVG, but
the TrueType font can be installed on a computer or mobile device and
save a tremendous amount of bandwidth. Pages that use the TrueType font
will be 30 times smaller than pages that use the server side generated SVGs.

Initially, 2 fonts will need to be installed: "SignWriting 2010" and
"SignWriting 2010 Filling". Each of these fonts is a single color, so
together they can imitate the 2-color required for SignWriting. The main
color font is 6 MB and the secondary color font is 3 MB.

Development continues...

Regards,
∼Steve
http://slevinski.github.io/