ASL Wikipedia general update, and a new SignWriting input method

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Sep 1 05:19:04 UTC 2014

SignWriting List
August 31, 2014

Yair -
Thank you again for this exciting new development. I really like your new typewriter for SignWriting. I like the way, with your new keyboard, we can type signs directly in the Right Lane, Left Lane or Middle Lane and we can type directly in vertical columns - very cool.

There are 2 Rotate Keys - one counter clock wise and one clockwise, for each hand - so there are four Rotate Keys in all - that is an easy way to type. The left hand does not have to reach over to get to the one Rotate Key like we have in our typing keyboard design in SignWriter DOS. Our SignWriter DOS keyboard only has one Rotate Key, because we use the Shift Key to go in the other direction, but I suspect that your four Rotate Keys may make typing faster…that is good.

And there are 8 Direction Keys, four keys for moving symbols up and down and side to side in different directions, for the right and left hands - that should be quicker too...

Have you studied the old SignWriter DOS keyboards? I am glad you are developing your own new design, but just to show you where the symbols were located on the keyboard we use in SignWriter DOS…since there are typists still alive who use it - ha!! Here are some documents:

SignWriter DOS documents
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/sw44/index.html

Here is a PDF showing how we type actual SignWriting documents in SignWriter DOS:
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs1/sw0049-SWDOS-Type-Signs.pdf

There are also Fingerspelling Keyboard Designs here:

Different countries:
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/fingkeys/fkey001.html

How the Fingerspelling Mode works in SignWriter DOS:
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs1/sw0047-SWDOS-Fingerspell.pdf

I cannot figure out how you get Facial Expressions, so I have yet to complete a sign with your typing method, Yair. Can you teach us how to do one sign? Maybe a little video?

Val ;-)

——