ISWA web font

Stephen E Slevinski Jr slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Wed Sep 3 15:21:26 UTC 2014

Hi Jonathan,

A promising emerging technology is being developed called "SVG glyphs
for OpenType fonts".  This will include colored and/or animated glyphs
in OpenType fonts.
http://www.w3.org/community/svgopentype/

In theory, we can load the ISWA 2010 symbols as a 2-color font using the
above specification.  The resulting font file will not handle the
2-dimensional placement, but it will be able to be installed on the
client side.  The resulting font would support the entire symbol set of
the ISWA 2010.

In theory, we could load the current symbol SVGs into a font that would
support the Unicode specification being published next year. The
resulting file would be 2 to 6 MB.

If this worked, it would be a viable alternative to an image server for
SignWriting.  The 2-dimensional placement of symbols would be handled
with HTML and CSS on the client side.

In particular, the Incubator project would need to be rewritten to
position the individual symbols rather than request a completed sign,
but it would save a lot of bandwidth because we wouldn't need to
download the SVGs for each new signs.

Regards,
-Steve