ASL Wikipedia general update, and a new SignWriting input method

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Sep 1 16:44:06 UTC 2014

SignWriting List
September 1, 2014

Steve and Yair -
This is absolutely beautiful work and really groundbreaking - Thank you!

And thank you for pointing out to us, that inside Chrome and Safari, it opens really tiny, but computers have ways of enlarging the screen…as Steve mentions below…and if you learn those keystrokes for enlarging your screen view, you can enlarge the SignWriting articles in the Wikipedia to read them well…

And the fact that the Wikipedia is written in the good-quality symbols of SVG is very important - it looks great -

And I love the fact that you can select signs and phrases and even create links in SignWriting…and even usernames can be in SignWriting now…

And thank you Steve for giving us this tour of the Wikipedia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCOWJ_-XQBg#t=3025

So now, we need to discuss more what volunteers can do to help...

Yair mentioned this:

> On Vertical Writing support in Mediawiki, which is necessary for the sign language Wikipedias: A Mediawiki architecture meeting was held regarding Vertical Writing support about six weeks ago, and Brion Vibber from the Wikimedia Foundation agreed to provisionally look into extending CSSJanus so that it can rotate the CSS appropriately for vertically-oriented pages. If you're good with PHP, please consider volunteering to help out with the CSSJanus work.

Can you explain more about what is needed?

Val ;-)