Examples of Syllable 4: Detailed Sorting

Adam Frost icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 8 17:11:39 UTC 2014

Well, that’s an interesting thought. First let me ramble a little. :-)

Let’s take these English words for example. In, inside, and Ina. You would think that in and inside would be close because the meaning are similar and in- is part of the word of inside. But Ina comes between the two. Ina doesn’t even have the similar meaning and doesn’t have in- as the make up of the word. There is nothing before the A in Ina to say that it isn’t related to in or inside. It doesn’t spell out as In(not in-)a.

So yes, A-B does come before A-B-C. But what you have is actually A-B-C-D-F coming before A-B-D-F where D and F are the second syllable. If we were to have another symbol for no contact (N), then we would have. A-B-C, A-B-C-D-F, A-B-N, A-B-N-D-F.

Let’s use ASL signs to illustrate. EAR and DEAF both with and without contacts. The ordering as it stands now would be EAR without contact, EAR with contact, DEAF with contact, and DEAF without contact. (So, “no contact” isn’t always last.)

If you were to add a non-contact symbol that would come before contact in the Symbol Sequence, then the order would be EAR without contact, DEAF without contact, EAR with contact, and then DEAF with contact.

If you were to add a non-contact symbol that would come after contact in the Symbol Sequence, then the order would be EAR with contact, DEAF with contact, EAR without contact, and then DEAF without contact.

I would personally not follow either of those ordering well. You may be thinking that there is no contact, so that is important to look up, but you could say that there is no non-dominant hand and that is important to look up as well. I am personally thinking of what a sign has rather than what it doesn’t have because there are a lot of things that signs don’t have and it would make you crazy trying to place in fillers for that item.

Let’s look at in, inside, and Ina again. I could say that there is no vowel after “in” for in and inside, but not Ina. That would just be an observation I would make rather than suggesting that there should be a symbol (%) to signify that there isn’t a vowel after a consonant because that would mean that the spellings would have to change to in%, in%side, and Ina.

So I guess I’ve truly rambled. :-) Regardless, I hope you understand why I don’t think it is a problem that there isn’t something saying there is no contact from a spelling viewpoint. From an analytical view, I am sure that it is interesting. But we aren’t talking about sorting for a scientist, we are talking about people looking up words/signs for everyday use. I don’t think most people would worry if there was a contact or not. If there is a contact, ok. If there isn’t, why would it come to mind?

Adam

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu