SignWriting Symbol Font: TrueType outlines with OpenType features

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Sep 19 16:50:18 UTC 2014

SignWriting List
September 18, 2014

Hello André, Stefan, Steve, Bill - everyone!

I had a great Skype conversation with Steve Slevinski this morning (thank you, Steve ;-)

I am not a programmer, nor a computer expert nor a computer repair technician…just like you André, as you say in your message below…

Here is what I understand is happening (if I am wrong, Steve, feel free to correct me)

1. The programs we use right now do not use Unicode. We are using Steve’s development, called Formal SignWriting (FSW). It works beautifully without Unicode. And we will continue to use it - FSW gives us full texts in Wikipedias, in SignPuddle, in SignWriter Studio and so forth.

2. Regarding Unicode...The Unicode-related committees voted the SignWriting symbols of the ISWA 2010 into Unicode version 8 - yeah!

3. Unicode version 8 will be ready for use in mid-2015.

4. Unicode version 8 cannot even display the SignWriting symbols without some kind of a TrueType Font for the entire ISWA 2010.

5. Steve is developing that Font right now. So without Steve’s development of the TrueType OpenType Font, the Unicode could not display the symbols.

6. The TrueType OpenType Font for the ISWA 2010 will be ONE font with all of the 30,000 (and more) symbols in one font installed on a computer. Pretty cool that all those symbols will be in one font.

7. BUT… it is a different kind of TrueType than the kind that is made with Fontographer. It is not the same kind of TrueType that Stefan creates with Fontographer.

8. This new font is TrueType OpenType Font Technology. For more information about the OpenType Technology, you can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenType

9. It is my understand that in a few weeks Steve will have the font ready to be used with Unicode version 8, so that is so wonderful!

10. BUT…even when Unicode version 8 comes out and we have the font to display the symbols, we still will not be able to type the symbols? Why? because Unicode does not create the software to go with it…it is only a standard on symbol characters used in different languages - so software still has to be developed to be able to keyboard or type with the new font that Steve is creating to work with Unicode version 8.

11. So in summary, using the new font will require new programming to make it possible to type with it.

So André, if you lose patience, that is life! I love drag and drop, so I use SignPuddle. And I love SignWriter Studio too, which has some keyboarding already as you know -

Do you use SignWriter Studio? It a desktop Windows program and it has some keyboarding right now. You can also drag and drop. You can do both.

So we will continue to use the software programs we have, and I am grateful to Steve and Jonathan and the Delegs program and everyone who is doing such a great job.

So there is already a way to keyboard in SignWriter Studio and in Yair Rand’s system, which hopefully will become a part of writing articles in sign language Wikipedias (that is my hope)…

I do not know when we will be able to develop keyboarding or key-mapping with the new SignWriting TrueType OpenType Font - it will take time that is for sure…

Thank you, André, for all the work you have already done in SignPuddle Online - I love reading your work in the Quebec SignPuddle:

http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/index1.html#sgn-CA-fr

Val ;-)

——