[Sw-l] SignMaker 2015 close to being ready...

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Apr 20 15:31:28 UTC 2015

SignWriting List
April 20, 2015

> On Apr 19, 2015, at 3:07 AM, Madson Barreto <barretobh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Valerie and Steve, for writing Libras, we use all graphems of SignWriting. But for the
> Handshapes we use only 111... all this are on our book 'Escrita de Sinais sem mistérios'.
> In the next monday I will generate a file and send to you with all this 111 Handshapes.

------------

Hello Madson, and everyone!

Of course this is very exciting that you have pinned down the handshapes you feel are used in LIBRAS and we want to know the information… What you really need is your own privately written LIBRAS SignPuddle Online, that is open to the general public to read and copy, but the writing and editing is only you - then your hand symbols would be there for you in SignMaker 2015 exactly as you have written with them, because it would be based on your own SignPuddle file that is only edited by one editor.

Public LIBRAS SignPuddle Dictionary
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/index.php?ui=12&sgn=46

But experts in one sign language do not always agree with each other as to what is needed...

We would keep the publicly written LIBRAS dictionary in SignPuddle no matter what, so people could choose between the Public LIBRAS dictionary and the dictionary by a specific group… everyone will have choices and more private dictionaries could be established if necessary -

Let me share with you …

We have TWO ASL dictionaries in SignPuddle Online right now -

1. PUBLIC ASL DICTIONARY…free and open for anyone to write in…new signs are written daily by beginners…

Public ASL Dictionary in SignPuddle
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/index.php?ui=1&sgn=4 <http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/index.php?ui=1&sgn=4>

2. ASLBible Dictionary … private dictionary that is written by only two groups of Bible translators, and basically edited by one person in their specific style of writing ASL … open to the pubic for reading and copying but not writing…

ASLBible Dictionary (Privately written but publicly read and copied)
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/index.php?ui=1&sgn=28 <http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/index.php?ui=1&sgn=28>

And…when Adam Frost wrote his textbook on ASL Hand Symbols - the hand symbols he felt are needed to write ASL…we found out that other ASL writers were using other variations of some of those symbols. Interesting to see there are different opinions and usages amongst native signers…

Adam Frost’s ASL Hand Symbols Manual <http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs9/sw0827_American_Sign_Language_Hand_Symbols_Frost_Sutton_2013.pdf>
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs9/sw0827_American_Sign_Language_Hand_Symbols_Frost_Sutton_2013.pdf

so this is an issue that could be resolved with a mix of privately and publicly written dictionaries -

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu