[Sw-l] Paper on DanceWriting in Brazil, writing belly dancing ; -)

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Feb 22 17:24:38 UTC 2015

SignWriting List
February 22, 2015

The document is in Portuguese ;-)

I think Lauro may have been influenced by some photos I placed on the web once, showing a dancer and then drawing a stick figure on top of the photos - of course DanceWriting is a bit more formal than just that, but in recent years I have been wondering if maybe all the detail we placed in DanceWriting wasn’t so necessary after all - I think the basic stick figure is wonderful and really works for everyone, and there is nothing new about that - stick figures are as old as the cave drawings and natural to our thinking -

So you know, the Position Symbols that are underneath the old DanceWriting documents that are so detailed…I am not so sure they are always needed - years ago I was under pressure because we were being compared to other dance notation systems - and one of the arguments was that DanceWriting was “too visual” and not detailed enough - so I added details with abstract symbols under the stick figure - nothing wrong with that either, and the Position Symbols do work and give added information on depth and certainly can still be used, but I notice that new people learning DanceWriting ignore a lot of the details and still find value in the basic visual nature of the system…

Right now it seems that our books are being purchased on Amazon.com <http://amazon.com/> most of the time, and the best seller for DanceWriting is our old “Collection of Classical Ballet Variations” that does have the formal details as well as the stick figure:

in Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Collection-Classical-Ballet-Variations-Valerie/dp/0914336193 <http://www.amazon.com/Collection-Classical-Ballet-Variations-Valerie/dp/0914336193>

but it also can be downloaded for free on the DanceWriting site:

http://www.dancewriting.org/acrobat/ballet/Collection_Ballet_Variation.pdf <http://www.dancewriting.org/acrobat/ballet/Collection_Ballet_Variation.pdf>

http://www.dancewriting.org/library/ballet/index.html <http://www.dancewriting.org/library/ballet/index.html>

but back to SignWriting...

Val ;-)