[Sw-l] Should the SW List remain open to the public unmoderated?

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Jan 11 22:49:44 UTC 2015

SignWriting List
January 11, 2014

Dear SW List Members:

The SW List has always been an open list. Anyone can join and post a message. All messages are supposed to relate to SignWriting or to writing sign languages, or other related topics, such as sign language linguistics, Deaf Education and research…and to date, I have been really happy to see how we have had very few people break that unspoken rule…

In the past few months, I have noticed a few messages from commercial organizations, posting messages related to commerce rather than our topic.

I looked at the Security Panel on the ListServe software, which is posted by Valencia College in Florida, and it appears that the only other solution is for us to make the SignWriting List “moderated”, which would mean that I would have to review every message before it is posted, and I do not want to do that…I am afraid it will be less friendly, and people will not be so happy because their messages will not post immediately and in my situation I cannot promise when I will have the time to moderate the messages..

Therefore I am voting to keep the SignWriting List as it is…open and free to join without moderation…and we can hope that the commercial entities who have been abusing the List will learn that they should not post messages off topic.

Do you agree with me? Or do you want another solution?

It is my hope that this List will be vibrant and active again - but on the right topics ;-)