[Sw-l] Presentation 42

Adrean Clark adreanaline at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 23 16:46:11 UTC 2015

Thank you for your message too, Valerie. It's always good to read from you!

To clarify what I meant by walls -- it can range from outright
hostility to benign neglect. Fortunately I'm not getting any animosity
from Signwriting circles but it has happened with other methods to
extreme effect. It's normal for humans to band together (Mac vs. PC
anyone?) but that also means that over time the "in-group" develops
terminology and systems that decreases access to the "out-group."

One small example, the Signwriting software is way over my head at
this point but I can see the potential for it to fork so that it can
be a platform to support planar* written ASL in general. That's just
one thought. I'm not a "rocket surgeon" when it comes to programming
but surely that is something worth thinking about?

(*Linear vs. planar refers to the main categories of writing SL.
Linear is a la Stokoe where the elements of a signed word are placed
next to each other like English letters. Planar is what Signwriting
does by condensing 3D language into a 2D space.)

One more thing -- I know that a lot of discussion has happened over
the last 40 years and I'm a newcomer here. My apologies if my comments
rehash something that the group has already decided upon. There's a
lot I need to learn from you all! :)

‿·⪦˒˒

*****
Adrean Clark