[Sw-l] SW-L Digest - 27 Jul 2015 to 28 Jul 2015 (#2015-145)

André Thibeault atg at VIDEOTRON.CA
Thu Jul 30 18:36:55 UTC 2015

Hi Dali and everyone,

Dali: Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and describing
it so well.

You enlightened me about how to type in Chinese by using Pinyin on a
computer.  Then, I read more about it on Wikipedia.  According to Wikipedia,
all children in mainland China
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainland_China>  are required to learn Pinyin
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinyin> in school.  Pinyin is in fact very
popular over there.  If people do not speak Chinese, they are not able to
use Pinyin. They will need to learn the standard Chinese pronunciation of
characters before they are able to use this input method.  I wonder if
Deafian Chinese children have particular difficulties in using Pinyin
because they are not skilled in learning the standard Chinese pronunciation
of characters.

The stroke method does not require the user to know how to speak Mandarin
nor to be able to recognize the characters.  I think that Chinese Deafian
users who use a stroke-based input method are able to construct the
character from scratch as one would do in writing Chinese.  However,
according to Wikipedia, it is a disadvantage in that it may cause language
attrition <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_attrition> and skills loss
in adults, and it may be a learning barrier for children as concerns written
Chinese.‪

Best regards,

André