[Sw-l] Writing Chinese using a computer

André Thibeault atg at VIDEOTRON.CA
Tue Jul 28 12:53:17 UTC 2015

Hi Dali, Yu and everyone,

I noticed that some people posted their message on the SW list.  Some of
them talk about the Chinese writing characteristic (vertical writing vs
horizontal writing) and a Chinese computer.  Why do I ask Dali and Yu?
Because both of you are skilled in writing Chinese and in using a computer.
Then, I would like you to share your experiences with us regarding writing
Chinese using your computer.

Yu: You are an international student. I cannot remember the name of the
College you attend. You live in Toronto. You mention that you lived in China
before.  I have a question: Can you write Chinese faster by using a
computer?  Does writing with a computer in English vs writing with a
computer in Chinese take about the same time?

Dali:  I cannot believe that you can use up to 15 languages!  I understand
that you are a Chinese teacher. As you can write both the SW Tunisian Sign
Language and the SW Chinese Sign Language, I have two questions: 1) What are
the similarities and the differences between writing a SignWriting and usual
Chinese as concerns using a computer? Which one is slower or faster when
using the keyword or the mouse? When the writing is done horizontally or
vertically? What action is the easiest, the most difficult, and so forth?

It is common for people to use a translate feature and translate from
glossed texts to sign texts in order to save time. 2) Is it common for a
Chinese user to write Chinese using a translation feature (I do not know the
exact word (translation) for the Chinese computer system) like SignPuddle
(translate feature) since they need to save time?

Yu and Dali: Is it true that modern Chinese is written horizontally when
using a computer?

Best regards,

André

sutton at signwriting.org