[Sw-l] Chrome fix for SignMaker

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Jun 10 21:15:12 UTC 2015

SignWriting List
June 10, 2015

Hi Bill and Steve -

Yes. This was my choice in the design of the ISWA 2010, just so you know it is not connected to Steve’s programming. Why do the arm lines look like that? Because in older software, we only had 8 possible rotation positions - 8 possible slots to put symbols in, to make the Rotation Button work. And this became the standard for the ISWA 2010.

The 8 angles to create a good Rotation Button works well for most of the hand symbols and most of the arrows - but for some symbols we do not have enough positions to fill all 8 slots to make a perfect rotation…this of course creates an uneven rotation experience for the user, but they will still find the symbol they need.

And in other cases, we have the need for more positions that 8 - and the arm lines were one of those cases -

When it comes to arms …sometimes we need “in-between" arm lines at in-between angles…We do not need the arm line that is straight up and down twice - we instead needed it only once, which is the first one in the rotation wheel, but we did need an angle that was slightly between straight up and the corner diagonal, since in sign languages sometimes those arm lines are needed

So since we did not have 16 slots available for the rotations of arm lines, I put the angles that were needed for writing, but of course that does not make a perfect rotation experience - People who know the ISWA 2010, realize these inconsistencies but still get by, by finding the symbol they need anyway, so they can write their sign.

The real point to the new SignMaker 2015 is that it is using the ISWA 2010 with TrueType instead of the older PNG and SVG systems, for the first time. TrueType has some advantages. But we have not changed the ISWA 2010 itself.

Regarding the ISWA 2010, no one has to tell me that it could be changed or improved or enlarged or condensed (smile ;-)

We all know that - ha!

But it is where we are at this moment, and we are trying to bring everyone a great experience on smartphones, tablets and computers…

Glad to hear you have tried it on Mint Linux, Bill - I have never heard of that operating system!

Val ;-)