[Sw-l] Keyboard idea to type SW efficiently

Yu Zhang yz13kh at STUDENT.OCADU.CA
Thu Mar 19 01:32:18 UTC 2015

Hi my new friends,

I would also like to create a keyboard for typing SW more efficiently. I
would like to create an additional keyboard, base on deaf culture, not the
vocal language, I mean 26 letters. Because deaf people do not use SW that
way. I wish the keyboard could be more close to the habit how people are
signing. Due to the keyboard idea also relates to UI design, industrial
design, programming, etc. I am not sure how much knowledge I should learn
to finish this project. It is my graduate design :) I tried to do some lit
review about SW keyboard. Just found two virtual ones here:
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/fingkeys/fkey001.html#anchor718062
, http://musslap.zcu.cz/en/data-annotation/notation-of-sign-speech/ And
both of them based on two different concepts which are are also different
form mine.

I know Miss Val, Mr Richard Gleaves and an Italian guy are also working on
this idea. How do people get start this project? How far have people gone
on this road? How many design concepts have people developed? Is there any
paper about this idea? What are the challenges up to now?

Currently I am just starting learning SW myself. I wish to get some general
ideas about creating a SW keyboard.
Hopefully I could get reply!
Thank you so much!

Best Regards,