[Sw-l] SW Keyboard

André L andre-andre at HOTMAIL.CA
Thu Mar 26 01:28:14 UTC 2015

There is an interesting keyboard sample p.82 , 83 and 87 in this Mouvement Writing text from Valerie Sutton.

http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0144-SSS-Manual-2004.pdf

André Lemyre

Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 18:59:49 -0400
From: joyoduncan at GMAIL.COM
Subject: Re: SW Keyboard
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU

    On 3/25/2015 2:39 AM, Yair Rand wrote:

      @Yu Zhang: I've built into my SignWriting Keyboard
        script a system for adding new layouts without making
        substantial changes to the underlying code. You might want to
        try this instead of creating a new system from scratch. The code
        for the script is currently on the Wikimedia Incubator at https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Yair_rand/SWKB.js
        . There's a "skeleton" layout in it called DOSLayout, which
        should give a good idea of how layouts are built. Also, there's
        a big block of documentation at the top of the script.

        (Also @Jonathan Duncan: Are you still interested in porting
          SignWriter DOS over to javascript? If so, you might also want
          to look at the documentation and code there. Or I could code
          the DOS keyboard layout if you've got a complete layout
          thought out already, if you want.)

    Yair,

        It's still something I would like to do but time doesn't permit
    me right now.  I am happy to hear that new layouts can be added to
    your code. That's great news!!  When I get to doing I will
    definitely take a look at your code.

    Jonathan

        On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 1:12 AM,
          Valerie Sutton <signwriting at mac.com>
          wrote:

            Hello Yu -
              No. The link you show below in your message is NOT
                the Sign Keyboard in the SignWriter DOS program.

              The link you have below is a “Fingerspelling
                Keyboard”, and that is NOT writing sign languages with
                the Sign Keyboad. A Fingerspelling Keyboard is used to
                type Fingerspelling, and that is not writing signs
                themselves…

              So although the 17 Fingerspelling Keyboards do use
                SignWriting symbols to write the Manual Alphabets from
                different countries, they are not the Sign Keyboard for
                typing Sign Languages, using SignWriting…

              The SignWriter Computer Program, which is not used
                much any longer because it is in MS DOS (you can still
                use it with DOSBOX installed), was a wonderful program
                because you could switch between three kinds of
                keyboards: Sign, Fingerspelling, and Latin Alphabet. So
                you could switch between typing Sign Language (Facial
                expressions, arm movements, hand movements, head
                movements, gesture), and Fingerspelling (the Manual
                Alphabets from the different countries that are a
                one-to-one correlation with the alphabets from the
                spoken languages of the countries but are not sign
                language), and typing words with the Roman (Latin)
                alphabet.

              So to learn the Sign Keyboard (not the Fingerspelling
                keyboard) you need to read this document (one I already
                directed you to):

              http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs1/sw0049-SWDOS-Type-Signs.pdf

              As far as really using that keyboard, the problem is
                that it is an old program and you will need to download
                DOSBOX and install it on your computer and then download
                SignWriter DOS and install it inside of DOSBOX:

                SignWriter DOS Computer Program
                http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/sw44/index.html

              Then start the program and start playing around with
                the keyboard…

              So this Sign Keyboard which I designed is not inside
                a more modern program right now…I would love it if
                someone were willing to program the general design that
                we developed for SignWriter DOS, and somehow get it to
                work within newer more modern programs, but most
                software developers want to develop their own style of
                keyboard design…so if you want to do your own from
                scratch that is ok, but you have a big learning curve -
                you will need to know SignWriting (the ISWA 2010) and
                perhaps write some sign language yourself in SignPuddle
                Online - write a sign language document yourself with
                the drag and drop system in SignPuddle Online for awhile
                to see the symbols and how they work to get a feel as to
                what is needed -

              Have you read our ASL Wikipedia articles? A typing
                system needs to be able to create these kinds of
                articles:

              http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/Main_Page

              or

              http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:PrefixIndex/Wp/ase/

              Have you tried to type with Yair Rand’s keyboard?

                https://806e8abcad89c3043886d9f62a7903edbba39fa1.googledrive.com/host/0B1Pz4n6wXAfvT18yOTFoSE5Sa2s/SWKB.html

              I am sure you will find your way Yu - I am just
                trying to give you a little experience with a very big
                subject matter - start writing some signs with
                SignPuddle right now… http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/
                … and through experience it will start to give you ideas
                -

              Val ;-)

                        On Mar 24, 2015, at 9:27 PM, Yu Zhang <yz13kh at STUDENT.OCADU.CA>