[Sw-l] Speech interpreting software

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Mon Apr 11 19:30:47 UTC 2016

Mike,
Rather than trying a voice-to-text app, which can be difficult, slow,
with grammar errors (auto-complete), try setting up remote CART.  CART
stands for Communication Access Real-time Translation. Basically, a CART
provider listens in to the sermon at his/her home (or wherever) -
usually through a cell phone used by the person talking - and codes it
in shorthand with a stenotype machine.  Special software in a computer
(usually a laptop) translates the shorthand from the stenotype into
words.  These words are then broadcast live over the internet on a site
such as www.streamtext.net.  It's a very quick, reliable, established
method and it can be accessed either on a computer or smart phone.

I have a good friend who just started her own local Christian radio show
and she's also a CART provider and the sign interpreter at my church.
Because of her knowledge and background, she provides remote CART for
her radio show.  Her deaf friends (some who live a thousand miles away)
"listen" in.  It's an amazing experience: the deaf listening to a radio
show .. who would have thought?
If you want to see a start page for the remote CART, it's here:
http://www.streamtext.net/player?event=

If you want more information and want to see about providing this for
your church, contact me privately and I can give you contact information
to get you started.

Oh, and one other thing ... it provides a transcript of the sermon,
which can also be posted on your website, or printed out, archived, etc.

Bill

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu