[Sw-l] SignPuddle update and the SignWriting Symposium 2016

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Mon Jul 11 22:03:59 UTC 2016

Hi SignWriting List,

We are one week away from the 3rd annual SignWriting Symposium.  I'm
very excited that we have 12 more amazing presentations.  We are working
hard to make the symposium a success for the viewers and for the
presenters.  Make sure to check the main page of SignWriting.org for
information and links.
* http://signwriting.org

I love Valerie's invention of SignWriting.  I am now confident in my
faithful computer encoding called Formal SignWriting.  It has been
stable for over 4 years and more projects are adopting the FSW standard
every year.  I will be presenting about FSW several times this year.

First, I will be discussing Formal SignWriting in my first presentation
this year's symposium.
* http://www.signwriting.org/symposium/presentation0055.html

Second, I will be discussing Formal SignWriting and a proposal for
SignWriting in Unicode 10 the first week of August at a Unicode
Technical Committee.
* http://www.slideshare.net/StephenSlevinski/signwriting-in-unicode-next

Third, I will be discussing Formal SignWriting at the WikiConference in
San Diego.
* https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiConference_North_America

I will be using the new Deaf Perspective video as evidence that Formal
SignWriting is the correct machine-readable encoding.
* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg5oKIpArmE

I have updated SignPuddle.com and I would love your feedback.  I wrote
the opening paragraph myself.  I tried to express the same ideas as the
3 English sections of Simple, Flexible, and Powerful. If anyone would
like to rewrite the opening paragraph or suggest better signs for the 3
sections, I would really appreciate it.
* http://signpuddle.com/

With the technology around SignWriting on the computer, we are picking
up speed.  It feels like every year includes a series of sudden
breakthroughs.  This year, the framework for the new SignText became a
reality with only 6K of custom HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. The following
links demonstrate FSW real-time updates, CSS switching, and resizable text.
* http://slevinski.github.io/SignWriting_Character_Viewer/ (Single Page)
* http://codepen.io/Slevinski/pen/XKRPzm  (live, updatable example in
HTML, CSS, and JavaScript)

A new SignText will be released before the end of this year.  It will be
available as a stand-alone HTML file (100k) and it will integrate with
the SignWriting Server and with SignPuddle 3.  You will be able to write
extended sign-texts dragging and dropping new signs, or looking signs up
in the dictionary based on sign language or spoken language, or using
the fingerspeller.  It will be much faster and easier to use than the
current methods.  We are getting better all of the time.  (smile)

Regards,
-Steve