[Sw-l] SignWriting in Unicode Next

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Sun Jun 26 09:52:52 EDT 2016

On 6/25/16 8:45 PM, Bill Reese wrote:
> That's awesome Steve!  I know it's really awesome cause I can't
> understand half of it.  lol
Hi Bill,

Thanks for taking a look.  Many parts of the presentation are discussion
points rather than fully developed thoughts.

I'm happy to report that Formal SignWriting as UTF-8/ASCII has become an
established standard.  We are fully Unicode.  FSW is excellent for flat
file processing.

I'm excited to watch Presentation 57 discusses the importance of Formal
SignWriting for language processing.  They will be presenting in
Portuguese and Libras, so I'll probably have to wait for the English
captions to fully understand.

I am grateful that the Unicode Technical Committee accepted the idea of
the International SignWriting Alphabet, specifically the 2010 edition.
Last year, the UTC meeting was productive.  This year, I will ask for
the characters we need and the official stamp of approval.  They may
have their own ideas. It should be interesting.

Whatever happens, I plan on releasing an updated set of fonts before the
end of the year to clean a few symbol images.  I will continue to
release the "SVG Source" and the "SignWriting 2010" fonts, but I will
also be adding a Unicode 10 proposal font titled "Sutton SignWriting".

"SVG Source"
* 37,811 line flat file

"SignWriting 2010 Fonts"
* 16-bit character set
* plane 16 characters in the private use area
* 100,000 ligatures for ASCII, Unicode 8, and plane 15
* below baseline fonts may obscure visibility when used outside of SVG

"Sutton SignWriting Fonts"
* 16-bit character set
* plane 4 characters proposed for Unicode 10
* slight change for the sizes of some symbol images
* above and below baseline with 30px hanging font

Formal SignWriting is easy to use with the stand alone SVG or either set
of fonts above.  It's an exciting time.

Regards,
-Steve