[Sw-l] January 2017 - Report from Steve's desk

André Thibeault atg at VIDEOTRON.CA
Thu Jan 12 17:02:08 UTC 2017

Hi Val,

Will Steve develop a new SW keyboard?

Best regards,

André

De :  Valerie Sutton <signwriting at MAC.COM>
Répondre à :  "SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages"
<SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU>
Date :  Thu, 12 Jan 2017 07:53:18 -0800
À :  <SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU>
Objet :  Re: January 2017 - Report from Steve's desk

SignWriting List
January 12, 2017

Hello SignWriting List!

Thank you Steve, for this report from your desk January 2017.

This is inspired work. Without Steve, SignWriting symbols would not have
been incorporated into Unicode v8 in 2015, and we are so fortunate that
Steve is continuing to strive for an improved Unicode for the SignWriting
script.

For those who may not be tuned into the world of Unicode...

Unicode is a computing industry standard for the consistent encoding,
representation, and handling of text expressed in most of the world's
writing systems. Writing sign languages with the SignWriting script is one
of the writing systems in Unicode.

But right now, even though the symbol characters of the International
SignWriting Alphabet (ISWA) are in Unicode, they cannot be used properly for
writing sign languages because we are still lacking the coordinate symbols
that give us the ability to place one symbol on top of, or below, or to the
side of another symbol. We need the "layout" ability to write down in
vertical columns too.

And it can be done in Unicode if the committees that administer Unicode
accept Steve's idea of how to do it.

We are very hopeful that the enormous work Steve mentions in his report
below, will be the key to the future of written sign languages on mobile
devices as well as computers.

So thank you, Steve, for the links below. I particularly enjoyed looking at
your slides, explaining this in simple terms:

SignWriting in Unicode Next, Version 3, 2017
http://www.slideshare.net/StephenSlevinski/signwriting-in-unicode-next

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton SignWriting List moderator sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List: sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu