[Sw-l] Survey on SW project for a book on SL writing systems

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Tue Nov 7 14:46:47 UTC 2017

Hi Claudia,

Welcome back.

I have three presentations for this year's SignWriting Symposium.

1) https://www.slideshare.net/StephenSlevinski/a-sign-by-any-other-name
2)
https://www.slideshare.net/StephenSlevinski/sutton-signwriting-fonts-2017-edition
3)
https://www.slideshare.net/StephenSlevinski/signwriting-in-unicode-dot-swu

Regarding Unicode, here is a timeline I put together.  There was some
discussion and ideas before 2008, but nothing usable.

2008
     International SignWriting Alphabet 2008
     SignWriting in Unicode (SWU) prototype

2010
     October - International SignWriting Alphabet 2010

2011
     April - Unicode Proposal version 1
     August - Unicode Proposal version 2

2012
     January - Formal SignWriting in ASCII (FSW) version 1. Stable but
requires SVG for viewing.
     October - Unicode Proposal version 3

2015
     June - Unicode proposal version 3 added to Unicode version 8

2017
     July - SignWriting in Unicode (SWU) version 1. An experimental
design that is the same as FSW, but better.

I have several other presentations on Unicode.
-
https://www.slideshare.net/StephenSlevinski/sign-writing-in-unicode-8-issues
- https://www.slideshare.net/StephenSlevinski/thanks-to-the-utc
- https://www.slideshare.net/StephenSlevinski/signwriting-in-unicode-next

The website ScriptSource has a nice page with links to the official UTC
documents.
-
http://scriptsource.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=entry_detail&uid=jt4fblkvhu

Regards,