[Sw-l] [SPAM] RE: Question on symbol meaning

rchannon1 at VERIZON.NET rchannon1 at VERIZON.NET
Fri Feb 2 16:39:05 EST 2018

Hi everyone – continuing a previous discussion.  I read your explanation, Valerie, and I understand now that the lines and dots have nothing to do with pauses, but are related to whether they are approaching the signer or moving away. I am still confused though.  For example in column 1 below, the first symbol has three “horizon lines” and the third symbol has 3 dots meaning coming toward the signer.

So could the first symbol mean:

Move the hand in a curve to right, up and out toward viewer.  Then move in a curve to the left, up,  and further out to viewer.  Then move to the right, up and still further out to viewer, and finish by moving left, up and out. I am thinking perhaps this could be used to describe the path of a hiker moving away from the signer along a winding path that curves back and forth but winds straight up  a mountain?

If I am guessing right, then perhaps the third symbol with the dots might be used to describe a hiker coming toward the signer and walking down the mountain along a different winding path that has a slanting downward path?

If I am going off on the wrong path 😊, then maybe you could give some examples of actions or signs that would match these symbols?

Rachel

From: SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages [mailto:SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] On Behalf Of Valerie Sutton
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 2:41 PM
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Subject: Re: Question on symbol meaning

SignWriting List

January 24, 2018

Hello Rachel and everyone -

Thank you for these questions. The dots and lines do NOT mean "pause". There are no pauses written with these symbols.

The dots mean "back towards the body", away from the horizon, hitting the Back Wall Plane...

... and the little lines mean "away from the body", forward toward the horizon, hitting the Front Wall Plane.

These curved arrows are double-stemmed. This means that the movement is moving up or down- BUT - by putting the dots or horizon lines on them, the curve is suddenly not flat with the Front Wall, but instead the curve travels up or down and at the same time also "hits the Front Wall forward" or "hits the chest back towards your body" - so these are combinations - they are both moving up or down but the curves are curving towards your chest or away, like a pregnant woman or a man with a pot belly - Here they are in a group: