[Sw-l] [SPAM] arm location symbols

rchannon1 at VERIZON.NET rchannon1 at VERIZON.NET
Tue Jul 17 21:49:32 EDT 2018

Hi everyone, one more question…

I’m looking at the arm symbols and I’m having a problem deciding which is the front and back of the arm.

In the symbol set below, I understand that the white circle represents the front of the arm, the black circle represents the back of the arm, and the little bowler hats (semicircle on top of a line) represent the sides of an arm.  (I’m only showing the left arm and only three sides because if these symbols are clear the others will be clear as well.)

My problem is that I don’t know what is considered the front of the arm.  This is because the forearm can move in so many directions including rotating.

If we look at  row 0,  from left to right we have upper arm, elbow, forearm and wrist.

If we look at the first column, from top to bottom we have front, side, and back.  (the other side is in row 3, not shown)

Here is what I am guessing:

Column 0 the upper arm

Row 0, column 1 The front of the upper arm is the side where if you “make a muscle” the muscle will make a little lump.  If you arm hangs down by your side, this is what a viewer can see.

Row 1, column 1 The side shown is the side opposite the armpit side.  If you leaned to your left against a wall, that’s the side that would contact the wall.

Row 2, column 0 is the side or the upper arm  that contacts your chair when you lean back in the chair.

This seems pretty clear.

Column 1 the elbow area:

Row 0, column 1 is the inside of the elbow – the crease

Row 1, column 1 is the side of the elbow that is neither the point nor the crease, and does not touch the body if you close your arm to your side.

Row 2, column 1 is the pointy side of the elbow

Column 2 the forearm

Row 0, column 2 is the side of the forearm that the viewer would see if you hang your arm down at your side and turn your palms to the back.  If you drew a line down your forearm onto your hand, the line would go across the back of the hand.

Row 1, column 2 is the thumb side of the forearm.  With your hand hanging down, if you trace a line down the forearm, it will go along the thumb side of your hand.

Row 2, column 2 is the  side of the forearm that someone behind you could see  if you hang your arm down at your side and turn your palms to the back.  If you drew a line down your forearm onto your hand, the line would go across the palm of the hand.

Column 3 the wrist

Row 0, column 3 is the side of the wrist next to  the back of the hand.

Row 1, column 3 is the thumb side of the wrist.

Row 2, column 3 is the  palm side of the wrist.

Have I guessed correctly?

Thanks!  Rachel

http://signbank.org/SignWriting_Character_Viewer.html#?ui=en <http://signbank.org/SignWriting_Character_Viewer.html#?ui=en&set=key&sym=S386> &set=key&sym=S386