[Sw-l] Two project for sign language translation with SignWriting

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Tue Nov 13 13:13:12 EST 2018

Hi SignWriting List,

Someone asked us "has there been any substantial work to make real-time
translation of sign language possible with technology in a
bi-directional way."

Interestingly enough, we recently spoke with two different groups
participating in the efforts for the translation of sign language in
real-time and bi-directional. I've been meaning to share, so here they
are...

The first project is a team:
https://www.linkedin.com/…/urn:li:activity:645246693994305…/
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Ffeed%2Fupdate%2Furn%3Ali%3Aactivity%3A6452466939943055360%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR18TMXU7a6c8y5sRKE0xuVsN6J7H4PkBy1enR_nELs153ChTufQZHR_QOg&h=AT3E6D0Dgyo8sNLCf2dBLdcZf9iR1vJh-O3KmuGklfUH0AhC3nvwZK182Iyw7iFolMqSLOH2_Ojcb_DY9tYJf1CcuaJv2xi-wxIiqo3QRp2MX-olqOzevNCibywVz26i7DNRBLlaFFIahBG77Ql9Qzgx>

"Had an amazing time at hashtag#startupweekendsingapore and placed
second as a team. Very thankful to be with Jerry Tan Si Kai, John Goh,
Hyunjung Kim (Cathy Kim), Xinwei Huang. We prototyped Outspoken to
translate sign language to text/speech, which can potentially benefit
those with hard of hearing to use sign language as their first language
to express themselves confidently and comfortably. Also thanks to the
help of mentors and friends Mark Lven Palejaro and Albert Puah. SWSG
Mega is a very well organised hackathon (and imo has top-notch design)
and brings the best experience for all!"

They know about SignWriting, but they currently use spoken language
text, rather than sign language text. Their focus on machine learning
has a lot of potential when applied to SignWriting text.

The second project is an academia group with dissertations, thesis, and
a starting infrastructure. Their central concept is CORE-SL, a
linguistic structure for defining sign language. They have mapped out
their system which includes real-time and bi-directional processing.
These future subsystems depend on their core structures. Their next PHD
thesis defense is coming next month I believe.

Link for the PhD thesis with the formal language to represent SL:
https://acervodigital.ufpr.br/…/R%20-%20T%20-%20DIEGO%20ROB…
<https://acervodigital.ufpr.br/bitstream/handle/1884/41015/R%20-%20T%20-%20DIEGO%20ROBERTO%20ANTUNES.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y&fbclid=IwAR2aiFPza59RiFSuX0pT95YumeJtGAeKWAa75AD2g6RnZIVoy1KcudWnDR8>

Link for a paper about the transcoder SLrepresentation - SW (thesis not
defended yet)
http://www.br-ie.org/…/index.php/sbie/article/view/8061/5752
<http://www.br-ie.org/pub/index.php/sbie/article/view/8061/5752?fbclid=IwAR14VKsQRP3rLj6xhe5ehz4VObVBkYRwLeLbA7CdgS7R02JpuXQXBB8xHJw>

I believe the CORE-SL model has many similarities with the SignTyp
linguistic model by Rachel Channon.  These models serve different
purposes and have a few key differences.

https://signtyp.uconn.edu/

Regards,

-Steve