[Sw-l] SignWriting Deaf Pen Pal request from Bangladesh

Mon Apr 22 14:20:57 EDT 2019

SignWriting List
April 22, 2019

Hello SignWriting List!
Years ago we started a SignWriting Pen Pal Club. We published the SignWriter Newspaper from 1981 to 1984, and the Pen Pal Club was an interesting experiment. Deaf people, and some hearing signers, wrote correspondence letters to each other in their sign languages, using SignWriting. The writers gave us permission to publish some of their letters in the SignWriter Newspaper and it was amazing how well they did writing their sign languages for the first time.

Today I received an email from one of the old Pen Pal Club members, Mr. Sarwar Murshed, a Deaf PenPal writer from Bangladesh. A portion of his email to me is below.

Mr. Murshed states that he wants a new PenPal in 2019 ...

Is there anyone interested in writing letters through the postal mail to Bangladesh?

I have invited Mr. Murshed to join the SignWriting List, and maybe he can accept email correspondence. I hope so.

Please write to me or to Mr. Murshed on email, if you wish to be a PenPal - I assume any language will be ok ;-)

sutton at signwriting.org

Mr. Sarwar Murshed
mursheddeaf at yahoo.com

-------------------

Dear Mr. Sarwar Murshed!
Thank you for this email, which you sent to me today. I remember our communication over 30 years ago. It was in the 1980s.

At that time, we had a PenPal Club for Deaf people to write letters in the postal mail, written in their sign languages in SignWriting, and we published some of the PenPal letters in our SignWriter Newspaper. I remember your picture and your writing. It was so much fun and also very educational to see sign languages from around the world written by hand in SignWriting.

We sent you copies of the SignWriter Newspaper at that time.  I am so amazed that you remember us and still want to write to Deaf PenPals? Thank you for keeping in touch with us.

We no longer publish the SignWriter Newspaper. Now we have a SignWriting List that is on email. I am posting your request to the SignWriting List, but I have not exposed your private street address. If someone answers and wants a PenPal, I will write to you.

sutton at signwriting.org
http://www.signwriting.org

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List: