[Sw-l] Simple way of writing repeated words?

Tue Aug 6 03:17:14 UTC 2019

SignWriting List
August 5, 2019

Hi Everyone -
Through experience - years ago - we did discuss this issue.

Small lines for repeated motion certainly can be used for SW Shorthand or Handwriting. For me, I would use those for my personal note-taking ...

But when we are publishing for others to read formal sign language literature, I believe in writing the repeated motions out in specific "movement clusters", which are established as a part of the SignWriting system... there are certain "movement symbol clusters" that are commonly used for plurals ... I want to write a textbook on Movement Symbols, and actually Adam has already created wonderful videos for the Contact Symbols and Finger Movements, which will be the first two chapters of the Movement Symbols textbook. But the "Movement Clusters" for repeated motion will be a chapter in the book. Here are some examples attached. The clusters give the visual feeling of producing the signs with repetitive motion -