[Sw-l] New JavaScript resources for SignWriting developers

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Fri Nov 8 17:37:36 UTC 2019

Hi SignWriting List,

Looking to the future, I have been modernizing the available tools for
SignWriting developers using JavaScript.

I have published the first two packages.  The source code is available
on GitHub and the packages can be installed with the Node Package Manager.

The first package is the Sutton SignWriting Core: a javascript package
for node and browsers that supports general processing of SignWriting
text. This package supports both Formal SignWriting in ASCII (FSW) and
SignWriting in Unicode (SWU) character sets, along with the associated
query languages and style string.
https://www.npmjs.com/package/@sutton-signwriting/core

The package is thoroughly documented.
https://sutton-signwriting.github.io/core/

The second package is the Sutton SignWriting Font-DB: a javascript
package for node that generates SVG and PNG images for individual
symbols and complete signs. The package covers the entire set of the
International SignWritnig Alphabet 2010 (ISWA 2010). This package
supports both Formal SignWriting in ASCII (FSW) and SignWriting in
Unicode (SWU) character sets, along with the style string and normalization.
https://www.npmjs.com/package/@sutton-signwriting/font-db

The package is thoroughly documented.
https://sutton-signwriting.github.io/font-db/

I am currently working on the next two packages: the first for TrueType
fonts and the second for React components.

I will be using these packages to build the new SignText.  By creating
these packages in a modular fashion, I am able to provide other
developers with easy access to the same tools I am using. Other
developers will be able to pick and choose what tools they need for
developing SignWriting websites, desktop applications, or mobile apps.

Regards,
-Steve
https://SteveSlevinski.me