[Sw-l] Questioning about correct finger movement symbol - the correct writing for the crab sign

Fri Oct 4 10:16:18 EDT 2019

SignWriting List
October 4, 2019

Hello Everyone!
Thank you, Rubens, for this interesting question, and thank you, Adam, for
your response. This is an interesting sign indeed!

I think you have chosen the correct symbol, Rubens, to write this Brazilian
sign. The Finger Movement Symbol, for side to side movement between two
fingers, has, up until now, only been for side to side movement of two
fingers... For example, the ASL sign for SHEEP (see attached). The index
and middle fingers touch each other as they move side to side. But for the
first time, Rubens, you show us that sometimes the two fingers can be
crossed, one on top of the other, and touch while moving up and down in the
crossed position. I think the same Finger Movement Symbol can be used for
both side to side, and up and down, depending on the hand symbol that is
written.

So thank you for informing us, and we will add that to the definition of
the Finger Movement Symbol. See two attachments: