[Sw-l] Introduction

Tue Oct 29 17:13:55 UTC 2019

SignWriting List
October 29, 2019

Hello John and everyone on the SignWriting List.

Welcome to the List, John. And thank you for your introduction.

I am not a programmer, but there are software developers here on this List,
who probably know much more about this than I do. I hope they will discuss
this here on the List.

I never heard of the idea of a way to create computer programs with
movement writing in general. We have a very specific writing system called
Sutton Movement Writing, which is a set of symbols used to write body
movement, such as dance and general gesture. At this time we are mostly
focusing on writing SignWriting for sign languages, and we are using the
International SignWriting Alphabet (the ISWA 2010) to write sign languages
in online software such as SignPuddle Online by Steve Slevinski and
SignWriter Studio by Jonathan Duncan and Delegs software from Germany and
so forth. There are also some cool new Apps that I am looking forward to
sharing with the SignWriting List soon. But all of these programs are
standardized and programmed without the International Movement Writing
Alphabet (IMWA). We specified our programming in recent years to focus on
only those symbols needed to write sign languages, the ISWA.

Someday I hope to revisit incorporating some of the Movement Writing
symbols that are not being used right now, into a larger symbol set for
SignWriting, but we are not there yet, and the ISWA 2010 is working well
for writing sign languages in current software.

I followed your link to the document "A Visual Language for Data Mapping."
It looks like you are doing interesting work and thank you so much for
sharing...

Here are some links to SignWriting software:

SignPuddle
http://www.signpuddle.org

SignWriter Studio
https://www.signwriterstudio.com