[Sw-l] Working towards additional hand shapes for SignWriting

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Tue Apr 28 14:16:48 UTC 2020

Hi SignWriting List,

I need your opinion and ideas.

For SignWriting 2020, I outlined a few work projects and where efforts
could be made.

https://signpuddle.org/projects.html
<https://signpuddle.org/projects.html?fbclid=IwAR3A7lZBW3SX1wXH-kCNnlvCdEqtSqesQOqq_ysywAhDKRkW21nEx1HT5lg>

It looks like people are serious about additional hand shapes. The ISWA
2010 has 251 different hand shapes already. Not all of them are used.
Valerie documented all of the hand shapes she knew about and added the
ones that were requested and she added a few more that might be used
some day.

In theory, there are hand shapes that are close enough. Because of pride
and love, if a writer needs a certain hand shape, then they should have
that hand shape.

The easiest way to accommodate additional hand shapes is to find current
hand shapes that aren't used and simply overwrite them. This simple
change would create the ISWA 2020. It is a multi-stage process and will
take some time, but it wouldn't complicate processing and it wouldn't
break existing software.

I would need to create new fonts and we would be done. Unfortunately,
all of the ISWA 2010 hand shape references would become outdated.

The ISWA 2010 is a 16-bit character set, which is over 60,000 code
points. The code space is full.

I like the idea of an ISWA 2010 Extension as an additional 16-bit
character set. For whatever year, we would publish new characters and
fonts for additional hand shapes or perhaps a dance writing extension.

Long term, I would love to do the ISWA 2010 Extension, but for this
project I think we should overwrite a few of the unused hand shapes to
create the ISWA 2020.

Your thoughts?

-Steve

sutton at signwriting.org