[Sw-l] Handshape orientation problem

Honza honza at RUCE.CZ
Thu Oct 29 16:48:18 EDT 2020

Hello Val and Adam again ;)

About the project firstly: thanks to some grants, we manage to establish an
international team to work on more sign languages (for two years). Our
dictionary now contains entries of Czech SL, Slovak SL, Austrian SL, (very
few sing of ASL and IS). It contains spoken languages used in the
countries, where these SLs are used too.

Every sign contains SignWriting that is used for search among sign
languages, or for searching translations based on covered sign languages.
Current version is available on the page http://dictio.info where you can
find more information about the project etc. Actually it was not designed
for so many languages, nor for mobile phones and tablets, that is why we
work on the new version (currently available on the beta page).
I will be glad to tell you more about it, when the new version is finished.

We have written down about 20 000 signs, so It is not possible I am the
only one who works on that.

Concerning the handshape: I don't prefer to use this Y handshape, it was
just to illustrate better the orientation. So that is not the task. When
using the square handshape, it is mostly necessary to use the arm lines as
well, I know ;) So yes Val, your writing is perfectly OK for me now.

So the issue is now searching, since as I have already written in the
previous email, I assume handshape symbols to be divided into upper (right
hand) and lower (left hand) part, and that we use for searching as well.

Thanks for your ideas. I am happy to tell you more, if you are interested.

Honza