[Sw-l] SignWriting question from Korea

Valerie Sutton 0000001342802f5f-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Mon Sep 21 17:51:15 UTC 2020

SignWriting List
September 21, 2020

Val’s Answer:

Regarding software:

Did you know there are two places to access the Korean Sign Language Dictionary in SignWriting online?

SignPuddle 2:
Korean Sign Language Dictionary
https://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/index.php?ui=1&sgn=78 <https://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/index.php?ui=1&sgn=78>

And…

SignMaker 2017:
https://www.signbank.org/signmaker/#?ui=en&dictionary=kvk <https://www.signbank.org/signmaker/#?ui=en&dictionary=kvk>

BOTH programs can be used freely.

The two programs work a little differently. I feel it is easier to use SignPuddle 2 because you can see all the handshapes in one large grid when you are creating new signs. In SignMaker 2017, you need to push the Mirror Button to find this unusual palm facing.

Please see attached. This is my writing of this sign, based on your video. There are other ways to write this sign. This is my choice of handshape. We can discuss the other choices later.

Next I will explain where I found the handshape in both software programs.